Bag designer and maker - youth summer employment
This is a Canada Summer Jobs opportunity supported by the Government of Canada.
Regular tasks (2/3 of work hours):
- in collaboration with the production team, assist in the manufacturing of a line of organic canvas and leather accessories, including cutting fabric, cutting leather, waxing fabric, sewing, dyeing, finishing;
- in collaboration with the marketing and communications team, photograph and market products using e-commerce and social media;
- fulfill customer orders with detail-oriented service;
- share in the daily operations and maintenance tasks of a design and sewing workshop; and
- assist the business owner in the varied tasks of running a small design and manufacturing business such as researching and ordering supplies, assessing product quality, conducting marketing research, optimizing production processes, and others.
Design project (1/3 of work hours):
To be completed under the mentorship of the business owner:
- research, design and develop a new product for the company's line, based on available natural materials (textiles, leathers, plant dyes, beeswax) and following the brand identity of the company;
- develop and manage a budget for the production and merchandising of a new product;
- write production documentation for the new product and lead the production team in the manufacturing of the product; and
- develop and execute a merchandising and marketing plan for the new product using e-commerce and social media.
- must be between the ages of 15 and 30;
- interest in design, fashion and sewing is a must;
- no experience necessary;
- must be a Canadian citizen with a valid SIN.
Pay is $15/hr
Schedule: 30 hours per week (4 days per week)
Location: Honora Bay area, NEMI, Manitoulin Island, Ontario
Start date: June 17, 2019
End date: August 8, 2019 (8 weeks)
Off-island applicants are welcome, as nearby temporary housing options may be available.
Submit your resume and example of work to email@example.com by Sunday May 26, 2019.
About the employer:
Chemistry + craft is a small design and manufacturing workshop located in NEMI, Manitouiln Island. We are committed to using only renewable non-toxic materials and reinforcing local and international supply chains that support social and ecological responsibility. Our sunny, rural workshop prioritizes pleasant and safe working conditions, conviviality, and well-being for our workers, sharing in a passion for good design, natural materials, and handwork. We regret that our work place is not currently wheelchair accessible.
We thank the Government of Canada for their assistance in creating this summer employment opportunity for youth.