Hand-stitched original throw quilt, made on Manitoulin Island / Mnidoo Mnis.
Made by chemistry + craft designer and owner, Mariana Lafrance, who had this to say about it...
"I designed this quilt with hand-dyed recycled cotton cloth. I pieced it with my sewing machine and then quilted it entirely by hand with vintage cotton thread and Londonderry linen thread. The design of the pieces and the quilting pattern are improvisational and intuitive.
The delicate colours I created with plant dyes that I sourced down the road from my studio (goldenrod flowers -- yellows; black walnut fruit -- beiges) as well as from Maiwa in Vancouver (madder root -- reds and purples). I also used an iron mordant made from rusty steel and vinegar.
I like to imagine the stitch lines as water drops falling from the top as rain, contouring the yellow sun in the centre, and eventually winding around pebbles in the ground.
I started this quilt in the winter of 2014, and finished it in September of 2017.
This quilt can be washed in a machine on the most gentle cycle in cold water, or washed by hand, with only a little, gentle detergent, if any. It must be laid flat to dry.
This quilt was a labour of love to make and completely one-of-a-kind."
- The quilt is narrow, measuring 31 x 86 inches -- perfect as a living room throw for naps and movies, or as a shoulder cover for watching the sunset. It could also be hung on a wall as an art piece.
- The nature of the recycled cloth and of the natural dyes make it that there may be inconsistencies and irregularities in the colouring. We believe these give the quilt character and uniqueness.
- The outside is 100% recycled cotton fabrics. The inside batting is made of 100% cotton and provides light warmth, perfect for fall and spring.
- The quilt was made entirely in non-smoking, no-pets environments.
- Colours may not be exactly as shown. The nature of natural dyes is that they will fade over time. And the nature of your computer screen is that it does not replace, nor accurately represent the real thing. That goes for all things in life, not just quilts.
- No returns or exchanges accepted on this item, unless something is our fault. Please be in touch before your purchase and we'll have a fun discussion and I'll answer all your questions.